Materials in the Archives relate to the history and development of the Diocese of Olympia from its beginnings in 1853. They document the early years of the missionary territories, the establishment of the Diocese of Olympia and the growth of its congregations and ministries.

On a broader scale, the materials contained in the Archives are part of the documentary heritage of the Pacific Northwest and provide insight into the religious, social and business activities of the region.

Collections include bishops’ papers (1854-present); publications such as the Journal of the Missionary District (1853-1910), the Journal of the Diocese of Olympia from 1911 to the present, diocesan newspapers (Olympia Churchman, Evergreen Messenger, and Episcopal Voice) and their predecessors dating from 1882; parochial reports from 1935 to the present; and records of diocesan offices, organizations, commissions and committees, as well as parishes and missions and affiliated institutions and ministries.

In addition, the Archives holds a large photograph collection and collections of slides, video and audio recordings, CDs and DVDs, architectural drawings, scrapbooks, memorabilia, artifacts and vestments.

For materials relating to The Episcopal Church, contact the Archives of The Episcopal Church at www.episcopalarchives.org

Leave a Reply