Canon for Faith Formation: 35 & Under
The Diocese of Olympia (Seattle, Western Washington) is seeking a part time Canon for Faith Formation: 35 & Under to lead the strategic planning and oversight of diocesan children’s ministry, youth ministry, campus ministry, and young adult ministry. The Canon develops and provides resources to support 35 & Under ministry efforts in the local congregations and assists in providing networks and connections between ministries and congregations working in these areas. The Canon coordinates with the leadership of children’s and campus ministries, supervises the Youth Ministries Coordinator, and works closely with the Adult Faith Formation staff, as well as plans and implements ministries and events at the diocesan level for young adults. The Canon reports to the Canon to the Ordinary. This is an FLSA exempt position; salary & benefits based on experience and agreed time commitment.
The Episcopal Diocese of Olympia, encompassing 90+ Episcopal congregations—parishes, missions, parochial missions and designated mission stations—in western Washington State, is bounded by the Cascade Mountains, Oregon, the Pacific Ocean, and Canada. Leadership is provided by the diocesan bishop and approximately 25 full and part-time staff. This position will be located at the diocesan office in Seattle, Washington. The Diocese of Olympia is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Major Responsibility Areas:
- Faith Formation for those 35 and Under
- Share the story of those 35 and under throughout the diocese.
- Supervise the Youth Ministries Coordinator.
- Facilitate monthly Faith Formation (HUB) staff meetings; co-facilitate monthly children and youth leader conversations and trainings.
- Work with Faith Formation staff on execution of shared events, trainings, workshops, and convention participation.
- Serve as the diocesan link to provincial and national youth, young adult, and campus ministry network; encourage participation in the larger church through provincial and national events.
- Youth Ministries
- Provide networking opportunities and training for youth ministers and ministries on local, regional, and diocesan levels.
- Provide consultations for youth ministers and their congregations; host an annual retreat or event for youth ministers.
- Oversee planning and implementation of youth events and conferences; participate in youth conferences and events; serve as Chaplain if ordained.
- Work with the Communications Director to communicate diocesan and congregational youth events.
- Young Adult Ministries
- Lead annual retreats and events.
- Network and communicate with young adult leaders in the Diocese.
- Member of the Office of the Bishop Staff
- Attend monthly staff meetings, trainings and retreats.
- Develop & manage department budget.
- Attend and achieve certification in required areas, including: Safeguarding God’s Children; Safeguarding God’s People; Fierce Conversations; Intercultural Competency training.
- Capability in design and implementation of leadership in children, youth, and young adult ministries through trainings, workshops, and consortiums.
- Excellent at multi-tasking and managing priorities of self and team.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Communication skills with children, youth, young adults, students, and church leaders.
- Desire to deepen and enrich the faith journeys of all, especially those 35 and under.
- Master of Divinity or Bachelors’ degree in related field required
- Ability to work independently, setting own priorities and performing all duties with little or no supervision; good sense of organization.
- Five (5) or more years’ experience in ministry with youth, college students, and young adults preferred.
- Ability to work long hours, including weekends.
- Computer skills including, but not limited to: Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Website creation and maintenance; Social media capabilities.
- Knowledge of social media ethical standards, particularly related to youth and children.
- Knowledge of Event Brite helpful.
- Ability to lift and carry 50lbs.
- Submit cover letter and resume.
- Cover letter should address ideas and experience related to the areas of responsibility, as well as innovative ideas for change that candidate will bring to the position.
- Provide two or three written professional references.
- Submit to: email@example.com.
- Deadline: February 16, 2018.