Cathedral Day 2023: Living Water
April 22 @ 9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Cathedral Day is a celebration of the community of the Diocese of Olympia—a “family reunion” for Episcopalians from across western Washington. Cathedral Day is a time for connecting across communities, experiencing your cathedral in a new light… and it’s a lot of fun. There’s something for everyone—no matter your age! This year’s Cathedral Day coincides with Earth Day. The theme of “LIving Water” will be reflected in the liturgy and in the day’s activities, which emphasize creation care.
A liturgy of Holy Eucharist with the rites of confirmation, reception, and reaffirmation for candidates from parishes near and far will begin at 10:30 a.m., opening with a grand, colorful procession of parish banners. Following the service, all are invited to enjoy lunch from food trucks and participate in activities for all ages.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 9:00 am – Confirmands, Sponsors, Clergy, Church Representatives arrive for rehearsal, meet with Bishop Melissa Skelton
- 10:10 am – Procession forms: candidates, sponsors, clergy and banner holders line up. All parishes in the diocese are encouraged to send a representative with their parish banner for the procession, whether or not there are confirmation candidates from your parish.
- 10:30 am-12:30 pm – Confirmation liturgy
- 12:00 pm – Food trucks ready for lunch service
- 12:30 pm-2:00 pm – Activities
- Earth friendly activities: smoothie station & healthy food demonstration, courtesy of Nurturing Roots Farm; Leffler garden & cathedral watershed tour; butterfly release; garden-themed photo booth; Rogation Day resources; carbon tracker sign-ups for households and churches
- Also: a bounce house, sponsored by Camp Huston; tour demonstration of the mighty Flentrop organ; recycled paper airplane-making and launch from the organ loft; a collaborative art project, and more!
- Everyone is welcome to attend the liturgy, and if you are unable to attend, you are most welcome to participate in the afternoon activates and enjoy some delicious food.
Please register all attendees in order to receive your food truck vouchers.