Updated November 19, 2021
The Board of Directors of the Diocese of Olympia, Inc., exercises legal and fiduciary responsibility for the assets of the diocese, including land, buildings, endowments and other funds. It is the mission of the Board to manage these assets to further God’s work in western Washington, both now and in the future.
Our bishop, The Rt. Rev. Gregory Rickel, serves as Board president. Mr. Marc Malone serves as vice president and Board chair. Members include the diocesan Treasurer, Chancellor, and Secretary to Convention, plus nine appointed members, both clergy and lay, who serve in rotating three-year terms. Current Board members are listed below. Additional duties of individual members include:
- representing the Board on the Diocesan Investment Fund committee and the Joint Finance Panel;
- reviewing the annual diocesan audit;
- serving as mentors to congregations applying for loans; and,
- oversight of Huston Camp & Conference Center, St. Andrew’s House, Diocesan House, Bishop’s House, the Chapel of St. Bernard, and Whatcom and Orchards properties.
Over time these legal and fiduciary responsibilities benefit almost every congregation and institution in the diocese.
- The Building Loan Fund lends congregations money for new construction and major capital improvements; favorable interest rates are set annually based on the prime interest rate. As of the first quarter of 2012, the Building Loan Fund assets total $5.2 million, of which $3.9 million is currently loaned out.
- The Mission Development Fund lends money for land purchases; as of the first quarter of 2012 its balance totals $900,000, of which $860,000 is loaned out. When the time is right for a diocesan capital campaign, both funds will be increased.
Beyond these two revolving funds, the Board oversees diocesan properties worth a total of $32.5 million, including properties occupied by missions; administers bequests left to mission congregations; and through the Diocesan Investment Fund manages a portfolio of diocesan, congregation and institutional investments valued at $45 million, as of the first quarter of 2012.
The Board meets on the third Thursdays of each month, 3:00-6:30pm; the Board does not meet in July.
Requests for additional assistance should be addressed to Canon Dede Moore, Canon for Diocesan Networking and Connections.
Current members of the Board of Directors:
- Bishop Greg Rickel (President)
- Marc Malone | St. Stephen’s, Seattle (Vice President & Chair ) (2023)
- Jim Beckwith | St. Paul’s, Bellingham (Diocesan Treasurer)
- David Kosar | Trinity, Everett (2023)
- Ron Miller | Good Shepherd, Vancouver (2023)
- Dan Renfroe | St. Benedict’s, Lacey (2022)
- The Rev. Jonathan Weldon | Retired (2022)
- Jeff Maxwell | St. Aidan’s, Camano Island (2024)
- The Rev. Katherine Sedwick | St. Michael & All Angels, Issaquah (2024)
- Vicki Setzer, All Saints, Vancouver (2024)
Others with seat and voice
- The Rev. Canon Arienne Davison | Canon to the Ordinary
- Judith Andrews | Diocesan Chancellor
- April Caballero | Recording Secretary
- Bryan Krislock | Vice Chancellor
- Dede Moore | Canon for Diocesan Networking and Connections
- The Rev. Canon Marda Steedman Sanborn | Secretary of Convention
- The Rev. Dennis Tierney | Diocesan Property Manager
- Charles Thorne | Canon for Finance
- Minutes: Diane Welles | Archivist
Per Bylaws: 2 clergy, 6 lay