The mission of the Bishop’s Committee for the Environment (BCE) is to celebrate and heal God’s creation. We help churches in the Diocese of Olympia find ways to make the Anglican 5th Mark of Mission – to strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth – part of their ministries. The BCE offers speakers and workshops. It supports churches interested in implementing the Genesis Covenant by training churches to use the EPA’s carbon calculator, Portfolio Manager for Houses of Worship. It offers small, competitive Green Grants to jump start energy saving projects for church facilities. By networking faith and environment groups throughout the Diocese, the Bishop’s Committee for the Environment shares information and celebrates the success of our churches.
The BCE meets monthly and its meetings are open to all. For more information contact BCE chair, Nancy McConnell, at BCE@ecww.org.
What the BCE Provides
- A network for sharing stories about the many ways diocesan congregations care for creation though advocacy, liturgy, gardens, and local and global missions
- Speakers, workshops, and retreats on caring for creation
- Information on how to participate in the Caring for All Creation Partnership with the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Philippines
- Information on current issues like climate change and divestment
- Help getting a Faith & Environment group started at your church
- Training in use of the EPA’S Portfolio Manager for Houses of Worship, a carbon calculator that tracks energy use and sets a target for implementing the Genesis Covenant
- Green Grants (maximum of $500) for energy retrofit projects
- Green Guidelines for Churches
The BCE invites you to learn about Environmental Stewardship in our Community, including Green Grants and Sustainability Successes, Community Gardens, Creation Season, and Earth Day.
To learn more please contact
Nancy McConnell, Chair
Marilyn Imbach, Secretary